Saturday, February 11, 2012

Skyrim, Subway and Sunlight Jr.

@TheScarletRebel: Filling up the store. 20 minutes left!
@TheScarletRebel: Just got a picture and had an awesome conversation with Patrick Fugit. Super nice and cool guy.
@TheScarletRebel: I am turning into a lesbian, medieval Thelma and Louise.

For those of you who don't know, Skyrim is an epic role playing game that will be remembered as a landmark achieving in gaming for the level of depth and detail that went into the making of this game.  It just won game of the year at this years Video Game Awards.  I had high hopes for this game and it has not disappointed.  What I did not expect was a celebrity sighting when I went to the midnight release party for the game.  While in line I hung out with Patrick Fugit, star of "Almost Famous" and costars in "We Bought a Zoo".

@TheScarletRebel: Lugging a desktop around Dallas Int'l Airport so I can do VFX work at home over Thanksgiving.

So after working on the visual effects on Thanksgiving day and wrapping up the sound and post work on Meet Derek- 508 was finally over. The film screened at the USC First Look screenings and was very well received.  All the jokes were laughed at, people seemed to like the action sequences and lots of people came up to me and congratulated me on my work afterwords.  Also my homemade fudge that I made for the reception was gone before I even hit the lobby.

 @TheScarletRebel: 508 is over, and the very next morning here I am working out and then running to set. Nothing has changed.
@TheScarletRebel: I am in a Subway commercial today with
@TheScarletRebel: Day 2 of Subway job. Praise the Lord for this beautiful day!

The very next day I started work as a key grip on a Subway ad.  Paid work! Woohoo!  The first day was miserable.  It was raining. It was cold.  And if you have ever worked with an HMI light you know they can't get wet.  Rough day.  The next 3 days were gifts from God!  It was perfect weather outside and we were on a football field for 2 of those days.  And all I had to do really was move around these big 12x12 frames and make sure they were safe.

So Meet Derek was well received and I just had 4 days of paid work and was now going home for Christmas.  I didn't think life could get much better at this point.  But on the way to a Christmas party I got a call asking if I wanted to work the next day.  Before I said I really wanted to spend time with my family he said it was paid work. I accepted.  At this point all I know is I am working and getting paid.  I show up on set and start to work and I see this is much bigger than a music video like I was expecting.  This is a feature film.  I am on set for 4 hour before I see the star walk by.  It's Naomi Watts.

@TheScarletRebel: I'm a grip today on the set of Sunlight Jr. starring Naomi Watts and Norman Reedus.

I run up to my friend as say the star looks a lot like Naomi Watts. He laughs at first until he sees I am serious and tells me that it is indeed Naomi Watts. What else was I suppose to say? You think he would have mentioned that when he called me up and asked if I wanted to work.  And the last place I was expecting to met a huge star like her would be St. Petersburg, Florida.  It also turns out that Matt Dillon and Norman Reedus (The Boondock Saints, The Walking Dead) are in this film.  So I was only supposed to work the one day but by lunch I have been booked for the rest of the shoot meaning I will be working up until Dec. 23rd.
Some of my tweets from set:
  • Just booked 2 more days on . Matt Dillon will be here tomorrow.
  • A mom in a minivan just got into a fight with a motorcyclist. A fun little event for us on set here to witness.  
  • Driving to set. Somehow Pandora has decided to convert my "Nirvana/ Rage Against the Machine" station into an Indian Dance music station.
  • Smoothies??? This set is awesome!  
  • Filet Mignon for lunch!  
  • Our Best Boy Grip took a speargun to the face.  
  • is officially hiring me on until the end of production.
  • Doing the Diet Coke + Mentos trick on set.  
  • I'm playing football with Matt Dillon. .
Literally "Making it Rain"
    The film centers around this gas station called Sunlight Jr.  Production was using an old station that had been out of business for a while.  This meant the production design team had to make it look like a fully functioning place.  Meaning they had to bring in all the food and drinks that a convenience store would have.  Once filming was over they could only return certain items- the rest was up for grabs.  Best shopping spree ever. Since I was on set I found that Xmas shopping was difficult but when this raid happened I decided to grab ALL the coffee and made a gift basket for my mom. She loved it.

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1517249/

    Sunlight Jr.- everyone go see it when it comes out later this year. Go see my name in the grip and electric department!

    No comments: