Sunday, January 1, 2012

Part 4: Cheyenne is Burning!

@TheScarletRebel: Camera tests in Stage 3!

@TheScarletRebel: Driving 15 miles to pick up a fog machine should not be a 3 hour endeavor! 

The Black Mambas, having finished a touching story with For Closure, began work on our second film immediately. This film is called Cheyenne is Burning, directed by Alana Waksman and shot by Drue Metz.  I was the producer and editor.The editing part I was excited about.  The producing terrified me. I am not the organized man in the world and I hate paperwork. Producing requires both.  I did have one hidden strength as my team discovered. I can make killer phone calls to get things done.  I apparently turn on this incredibly professional voice when I get on the phone.  And I did get things done.  A major important scene of this film is a dream sequence where Cheyenne is in this vast wide open space and she is on fire.  To achieve this we needed to play around with projector effects and lighting styles.  So on multiple occasions I had to procure sound stage reservations way in advance or on some occasions at the last minute. What was harder was facing the horrendous LA traffic to get the fog machine. But it all worked out and we got some incredible footage!

The Black Mambas fog up up a soundstage.   


 @TheScarletRebel: Editing while listening to Pink Floyd.

Like I said before I was excited to edit this project. Alana wanted to capture the emotions and moods of the character and since she rehearsed the dance sequence to Pink Floyd I decided to listen to that same song while I cut that scene. We ended up going with a more experimental direction and the project really turned out great.
The infamous dance sequence

@TheScarletRebel: Good news: I scored my all time high score of 147 points in . Bad News: I still lost.

We ended up each putting in $10 into the Fantasy Football pool. This was the first time I have ever bet on this, because I have never even come close to winning.  Even after this unfortunate case here I was currently second in the standings and looking good for the playoffs at this point.

Up next is Part 5: Meet Derek and the Conclusion of 508.

No comments: